In order to have a muscular and toned body, increasing muscle mass effectively is indispensable. However, not everyone knows how to build muscle in the most technically correct way. Here Ultimate Sup will provide you the secret of how to build muscle at home, especially for skinny guys with 5 exercises using dumbbells.
Dumbbells are “must-have" items that allow us to create many muscle-building exercises to boost muscle mass as much as possible. If you use dumbbells frequently and correctly, having a perfect shape will be surprisingly simple. Moreover, having more muscle mass will help you burn more calories and fat during the day. Let's take a look at a muscle gain workout plan including 5 exercises for you to build muscle at home.
1. The Goblet Squat
The Goblet Squat is an upgraded version of the basic squat exercise, which is effective in developing thigh muscles effectively. In addition to the main impact on the anterior thigh muscles, The Goblet Squat also helps in the development of accessory muscles including the hind thigh, glute, lower leg and shoulder muscles. The Goblet Squat is a fairly gentle exercise that is very suitable for women practicing tone thighs. In addition, the movements of the exercise also strongly impact hip muscles, helping increase your hip size.
How To Build Muscle With The Goblet Squat:
For the best results, you have to technically follow the standard Goblet Squat exercise. This thigh muscle exercise is not too complicated but each move needs to be precise to bring it into play:
- First, put yourself in an upright position with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width and hold a dumbbell in front of your chest with both of your hands. You should pick the weight that fits you best, though coaches would recommend the average weight class.
- Slowly push your hips back gently, and lower your body as low as possible, like a basic squat, letting the hind thighs touch the calves. Make sure to keep your back, chest and head straight at all times.
- When you lower your body to the lowest position possible, stop for 2 seconds and then slowly push your body back up, returning to the starting position. While going back up, you need to put your weight on the heels. Avoid going on tiptoes during this step.
- Repeat the above movements 15 times per set and perform 3 sets.
2. The Dumbbell Clean
The Dumbbell Clean exercises should be included in your muscle gain workout plan because they work on many muscle groups to effectively burn excess fat. To be specific, it focuses on thighs, shoulders, buttocks and back to improve the strength of the lower body for a more stable shape. This is also considered a very good exercise of how to build muscle at home for skinny men.
How To Build Muscle With The Dumbbell Clean:
- Lower your body as in the squat position to start, with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart, feet pointing out in a V-shape. Hold dumbbells steadily with both hands on your sides.
- Stand firmly on your heels, apply force to push your body up like the Squat. Tighten your grip, use your shoulder to lift the dumbbells then push them up.
- Keep your arms straight, close to your chest to avoid injury. Hold this position for 5 seconds.
- Slowly lower your arms, returning to the starting position.
3. The Bent-Over Barbell Row
The Bent-Over Barbell Row is a relatively difficult muscle exercise for the back part suitable for gym-goers who have completed the gym curriculum for beginners. According to experts, the Bent Over Barbell Row is one of the best exercises to develop the middle back and thicken it. In addition, this exercise also works very well on other muscle groups in the upper body including the biceps, bucket muscles and shoulders. Thanks to this exercise in your muscle gain workout plan, your body will develop muscle strength, increase endurance, good stamina and build muscle groups evenly.
How To Build Muscle With The Bent-Over Barbell Row
For optimal results, you need to have a bar with weights attached to the sides to perform the "barbell bend" exercise. Depending on each physical condition, you should mount the weight appropriately. After getting the necessary equipment, you may start performing this Bent Over Barbell Row exercise according to the following instructions:
- Put yourself in an upright position in the middle of the bar, 2 feet to shoulder width.
- Bend over, hold the bar with your palms facing inward and pull the bar. Keep the bar at the hips level.
- Bend your knees and slowly lower your body. Push your butt slightly to the back, keep your back straight and raise your head to look forward. Do not raise your head too high, keep your head straight with your back.
- Place your hands perpendicular to the floor and to the body, which is the starting position for this Bent Over Barbell Row exercise.
- Keep your torso and your back fixed, exhale, and then pull the bar to reach your stomach. Keep your elbows close to your body. You should use your forearms to hold the bar.
- Squeeze your back muscles in the top position and hold for a few seconds. Then, inhale and slowly lower the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat all the movements until you reach the required number of reps.
4. The Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift
The Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift is a strength exercise that acts mainly on the hind thigh muscles and enhances this muscle group very well. Also, this dumbbell exercise works on the glute, lower back and abdominal muscles to help you become healthier. In fact, not only is it great to do at home, but Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift is also practiced by many skinny-type in gyms who don't know how to build muscle.
How To Build Muscle With The Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift
The instructions for this exercise are as follows:
- Prepare two suitable dumbbells, put your legs upright and shoulder-width apart, and let your knees slightly bent.
- Stabilize your knees, bend your waist, then lean forward. Make sure that your back stays straight at all times.
- Lower the dumbbells comfortably forward. As soon as you feel the tension in your hind thighs, stop and exhale. Usually, the dumbbells would be right above your feet in most situations.
- Inhale and get up back to the starting position.
- Repeat the entire exercise until the required number of times has been reached.
5. The One-Arm Dumbbell Swing
Your muscle gain workout plan needs to have the One Arm Dumbbell Swing. The One-Arm Dumbbell Swing exercise supports mainly on the hind thigh muscles and sub-muscles including glutes, lower back, shoulder muscles, and calf muscles.
How To Build Muscle With The Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift
To practice this exercise, you can follow the detailed instructions below with a suitable weight:
- Stand with your two feet 2 or 3 feet apart, bend your knees, and hold the dumbbell between your legs, eyes looking straight ahead.
- To start, push your hips back slightly, and bend your knees a bit more. Lift the dumbbell up while the weight-holding arm stays straight. Lift the dumbbell until it is at chest-level and stand straight up.
- Next, let loose the hand holding the equipment fall with the dumbbell down between the legs and a bit to the back like a pendulum.
- Repeat the entire set for the required number of times
Continue to switch arms and do the same as above to finish the exercise.