Today I want to give you an overview of why improving insulin sensitivity is great for building quality lean mass and how you can go about doing this.
By improving your insulin sensitivity you are essentially able to utilise energy better which means that you will benefit from:
1) Better performance
2) Improved recovery
3) Faster muscle growth
4) Less unwanted body fat during your lean mass phase
Often when people go on a "bulk" they gain fat too quickly, suppress their insulin sensitivity too much and miss out on the above benefits to the point they can't build much muscle. Yes, you might add some body fat when going through a lean mass phase however you must manage this in order to remain insulin sensitive enough for maximal results.
The key to improving and then protecting insulin sensitivity is by avoiding excessive fat gain. This is mainly done through diet as well as your output. In terms of training, your metabolism will definitely experience an uplift. However, even in the "off season" I usually recommend people do cardio in order to help with insulin sensitivity (along with gut health, cardiac health and fitness levels).
In terms of diet you want to be in a place whereby you're eating enough calories to grow, yet not so much that you're gaining unwanted fat. This is when people generally experience insulin resistance!
Although it will differ from one person to the next, gaining 1-2lbs is a reasonable parameter to go by on a weekly basis. The KEY is watching your waistline and general condition with photos. If your fat levels are going up to quickly cut back on your calories.
with Omega 3s
and limiting saturated fat in your diet can also help improve insulin sensitivity, as will ensuring you consume enough fibre with your meals.
⭐ Other training, nutrition, and supplement knowledge:
- COMPOUND VS ISOLATION EXERCISES: WHICH ONE WINS?
- LEARN HOW TO WORK AROUND JOINT PAIN WITHOUT LOSING SIZE
- 3 WAYS TO BUILD MUSCLE *WITHOUT* GETTING FAT!
- HOW TO BUILD MUSCLE WITHOUT ADDING WEIGHT TO THE BAR
- THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU OVERTRAIN
- MOST DIETS FAIL BECAUSE OF THIS
- EAT BEFORE YOU GO TO BED
- 4 FOODS TO HELP WITH DIGESTION
- 3 WAYS TO SELECT THE RIGHT CHEAT MEAL
- BEST WAYS TO ARCHIVE KILLER ABS
- 5 TIPS TO OPTIMIZE IMMUNE FUNCTION
- MAKE FAT LOSS HAPPEN FASTER WITH THESE FOODS
- 3 SIGNS YOU’RE SUCCESSFULLY LOSING FAT!
Let us know in the comment how you think and if you have any questions about this topic, feel free to ask. Besides, we will also gladly help you to learn more about protein powder, pre-workout, or other supplements you would like to find/use in Singapore.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to get more training advises and exercises.